Sunday, January 17, 2010

Goodbyes in Denmark

Hi, sorry about the delay in posting this entry, I am now back home in Australia after an amazing experience. Of course, getting home meant that I had to say goodbye to Denmark, which was definitely a hard thing to do. That was what my week between Scout Scoop and London involved.

In the time between getting back from Scout Scoop and taking the plane to London, Jakob returned to school and I returned to my standard role at school of sitting there browsing the web on the netbook I had brought with me. Before going back to school however, I had the fun pleasure of lighting a few fireworks off which you can do in Denmark because it is still legal around New Year's to set off your own fireworks. While they were no Sydney Harbour Bridge fireworks, they were rather large and loud which made the experience extra fun. To be honest, my final week at school was I guess, a bit more exciting than the previous weeks in the sense that I made a few presentations about Australia to a few different English classes. The presentations seemed to have gone well, with people asking questions and looking quite interested while I made my presentation. Also, during one of Jakob's English classes, we watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail which was very funny to see. Below are some photos of me setting off the fireworks.




A couple of the nicest moments for me in my last week in Denmark was how people said goodbye to me by throwing little parties. Jakob's friends after my final day at his school decided to organise a little gathering for me which was very fun. We had a lovely lasagna for dinner and chocolate cake plus ice-cream for dessert, and I was given a few funny going away presents from Jakob's friends. It was very nice of them and it confirmed how good Jakob's friends are. Jakob's family also held a pizza dinner at their place in honour of me with a few family friends and relatives, which was also very nice. For my 'last night in Denmark', it was a very nice affair.

We would have left on Sunday 10th January, but due to the extreme weather in the UK British Airways decided to cancel our flight which meant we spent an extra night in Denmark. Because of this, there was time to organise to share a ride to the airport with Brearne and Rachel with us. It then came time the next day to head to Copenhagen, so Brearne was dropped at our place, I said goodbye to Inger and we picked up Rachel on the way. After a nice three-hour break at Rene's workplace where we had some muffins and lunch, we got to the airport where Rene said goodbye and dropped Brearne, Rachel, Jakob and I. After waiting for the other exchangees, we then checked in and then said our final goodbyes, mine to Jakob. It was here that the Danish exchange had finished, though the experience was not over by any means. I will cover London in the next entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment